Backpacking – Coastal Redwoods
Feb 21 - Feb 23, 2020
Come journey with us through some of the most scenic coastal redwoods California has to offer! Friday night we will camp among these towering giants at Huckleberry Campground. On Saturday, we will backpack 6.5 miles along the Skyline to Sea trail while taking in the stunning views of the forest canopy and the ocean beyond. That night we will enjoy a backpacker’s feast followed by a Poly Escapes specialty dessert. Sunday we will follow a mountain stream through 5.5 miles of lush forest back to the trailhead and head home exhausted, yet exhilarated and awed by the beauty of nature and our state!
Skill Level: Moderate
Activity Level: Beginner
- Coastal Redwoods (also known as Sequoia sempervirens) is the last living species of its kind. This long-living plant can live between 1,200 to 1,800 years and longer!
- The campsite we will be staying in features misty waterfalls and plenty of redwoods to hang out underneath when not adventuring!
- The Skyline to Sea Trail is 6.5 miles long with a staggering 1300 ft. elevation gain. You’ll be hiking up the average height of one redwood tree!
- We will also be backpacking through the Big Basin Trail—California’s oldest State Park being founded in 1902.
- All trip participants must attend a pre-trip meeting.
- Trip Leaders will communicate about specific required equipment and personal items needed. Warm non-cotton outdoor clothing that can be layered will be required. Some general equipment can be rented from ASI Poly Escapes at a 50% discount with your reservation. Visit the ASI Poly Escapes website to view the rental catalog.
- Transportation and drivers are provided by ASI Poly Escapes. Trip departure times are final. Please arrive on time at the specified departure time and location. If you cannot depart at the scheduled time, you cannot attend the trip, no exceptions.
- Meals are included in the cost of the trip except for meals at restaurants while traveling to and from the trip destination.
- Cancellation of the trip and/or changes in the specific details, timing, itinerary, and location of the trip may happen due to factors including but not limited to weather, environmental events, access and regulatory changes, health factors, and registration minimums.
- Withdrawing from the trip results in a refund only when another participant fills the spot.
- Registration is required; there is a fee associated with this program.
- pots and pans
- first aid kits
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 1 dinner
- car snacks
- water filters
- bathroom kits
- trekking poles
- bear bins for food
What to Bring
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- large backpacking backpack
- hiking boots
- trail snacks
- 2 water bottles
- comfortable synthetic, thermal, & waterproof layers
- medical insurance card
- bowl and utensils for meals
- money for dinner on Friday
The Poly Escapes Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has the gear you need for your next adventure! Explore our selection online, then visit the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More