ASI Children’s Center
Discover, learn, play, and explore.
The Orfalea Family and ASI Children’s Center provides early care and education services for the children of Cal Poly students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the local San Luis Obispo community.
At the Orfalea Family and ASI Children’s Center, we believe, when provided with a safe, trusting, and nurturing environment, children have an innate capacity to create knowledge, discover, and learn:
- Through joyful exploration and play.
- Through relationships with others and the environment.
- Through challenges and struggles with encouragement and support.
- Through all their senses and at their own pace.
- With adults as facilitators and co-collaborators.
- With a variety of opportunities and ways to express themselves.
- As active participants in the learning process.
These beliefs and daily practices are rooted in the co-constructivist approach to learning. Our teaching philosophy is founded on the above truths.
As a Reggio Emilia inspired program, our curriculum focuses on discovery. Children are encouraged to explore ideas and interests through project work. Projects are incorporated into all classrooms, focusing on the children’s interests and ideas. This type of learning looks different in each of the classrooms based on developmental level. Observation, documentation, and reflection are the tools used in this type of learning. Documentation is the result of many careful observations, listening, and collecting of children’s work. It is an opportunity to share what is learned and discovered.
Find Us Here
The Orfalea Family and ASI Children’s Center is located in Building 133.
Enrolled families are eligible to receive a loading zone parking pass for drop-off and pick-up. Loading zone passes are limited to 15 minutes and are available at the Children’s Center Front Desk. Visitors or those needing long-term parking may utilize metered parking spaces, located within the Children’s Center parking lot.
Fall Quarter | Week 3
October 3 - 9
(Applicable modified hours shown in red.)
Orfalea Family and ASI Children's Center Hours
- Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 5:30pm
- Saturday - Sunday: CLOSED