Approved by the ASI Board of Directors on April 4, 2018
ASI Student Government members have important duties and responsibilities to the Cal Poly student body. These responsibilities are derived from the ASI Bylaws; often, the responsibilities change as the organization grows and changes.
It is a conflict of interest for ASI to employ members of ASI Student Government and require those individuals to have the responsibility of governing and making decisions regarding the organization by which they are employed. Because of this conflict, it is necessary to separate the roles by not allowing a student to simultaneously hold a position in ASI Student Government and be employed by ASI.
University Learning Objectives
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our student leaders are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Vice Chair of the University Union Advisory Board
The Vice Chair of the UUAB shall be a member of the UUAB and shall be appointed from the student membership by the Chair and approved by 2/3 vote of the student membership of the UUAB. The Vice Chair of the UUAB retains a seat as a student representative and assists the Chair of the UUAB in fulfilling the mission of the UUAB.
- Serve as a non-voting member of the ASI Business and Finance Committee.
- The Vice Chair of the University Union Advisory Board is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI Policy as a condition of their volunteer assignment.
Responsibilities to the University Union Advisory Board
- Represent ASI on appropriate universitywide and Academic Senate committees as appointed by the ASI President.
- Perform the duties of the Chair of the UUAB in his/her absence, at the direction of the Chair of the UUAB.
- Assume the Chair of the UUAB position in the event the office becomes vacant.
- Maintain communication between the Chair of the UUAB and members of the UUAB.
- Provide oversight in the development and review of guidelines that pertain to the UUAB.
- Ensure continuous leadership and professional development of the UUAB membership.
Summary of Typical Involvement
- Serve on ASI internal committees as appropriate.
- Serve as the Chair of the ASI Art Committee.
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment, planning, and goal setting.
- Participate in quarterly kickoff events.
- Attend leadership development workshops.
- Serve as a member of the ASI Leadership Team.
- Meet weekly with the Chair of the UUAB.
- Attend Leadership Team meetings.
- Attend universitywide and Academic Senate committee meetings as appointed.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the Chair of the UUAB and the UUAB members.
Administrative support is provided to the Vice Chair of the UUAB by the Administrative Assistant. As a support professional, the Administrative Assistant serves the business needs of the officers and maintains an efficient and effective business environment. The Administrative Assistant functions in an auxiliary role at the direction of the ASI Officers and is not authorized to represent or act on behalf of any ASI Student Government member.
Professional development/mentoring to the Vice Chair of the UUAB will be provided by the ASI Executive Director or designee. As a mentor, the ASI Executive Director will provide constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis to assist the Vice Chair of the UUAB in their personal and professional development.
Qualifications for Office
During their term of office, the Vice Chair of the UUAB must maintain compliance with all CSU and ASI requirements as outlined in the ASI Student Government Qualifications for Office Summary.
The Vice Chair of the UUAB receives a quarterly scholarship equal to 25% of the cost of education, priority registration and ASI vehicle privileges, if eligible.