ASI Chief of Staff Responsibility Guide
Approved by the ASI Board of Directors on March 7, 2018
ASI Student Government members have important duties and responsibilities to the Cal Poly student body. These responsibilities are derived from the ASI Bylaws; often, the responsibilities change as the organization grows and changes.
It is a conflict of interest for ASI to employ members of ASI Student Government and require those individuals to have the responsibility of governing and making decisions regarding the organization by which they are employed. Because of this conflict, it is necessary to separate the roles by not allowing a student to simultaneously hold a position in ASI Student Government and be employed by ASI.
University Learning Objectives
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our student leaders are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
ASI Chief of Staff
As an appointed position by the ASI President, the ASI Chief of Staff works to implement the goals of the ASI President with the assistance of the appointed Executive Cabinet.
The ASI Chief of Staff has direct oversight of the presidential appointed ASI Executive Cabinet and ASI Student Government operations under the general oversight of the ASI President.
- Provide direct oversight and management of the ASI Executive Cabinet in day-to-day programming activities and initiatives.
- Provide continuous leadership development to the ASI Executive Cabinet.
- Recruit students for the ASI Executive staff who assist the ASI Executive Cabinet in coordinating special events and activities.
- Represent the ASI President on ASI and University-wide committees as appointed by the ASI President.
- Provide input regarding student advocacy of ASI.
- Serve as a non-voting member of the ASI Business and Finance Committee.
- Serve as a non-voting representative to the Board of Directors.
- Assume the duties of the ASI President on an interim basis, if the ASI President is removed temporarily.0
- The ASI Chief of Staff is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set
forth in the ASI Policy as a condition of their volunteer assignment.
Responsibilities to the Executive Cabinet
- Coordinate projects and initiatives of the ASI Executive Cabinet.
- Chair weekly ASI Executive Cabinet meetings.
- Ensure that the ASI President’s goals are facilitated through the ASI Executive Cabinet.
- Aid in the selection process of ASI Executive Cabinet members.
Summary of Typical Involvement
- Serve on ASI internal committees as appropriate.
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment, planning, and goal setting.
- Participate and organize frequent Student Government Professional Development alongside members of the ASI Leadership Team.
- Engage in ASI Leadership Development workshops over the summer and throughout the course of the year.
- Meet weekly with the ASI President.
- Attend Leadership Team meetings.
- Meet with members of the ASI Executive Cabinet to ensure their continuous development.
- Attend University-wide, Academic Senate, community, or California State Student Association meetings as appointed by the ASI President.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the ASI President.
Administrative support is provided to the ASI Chief of Staff by the Administrative Assistant. As a support professional, the Administrative Assistant serves the business needs of the officers and maintains an efficient and effective business environment. The Administrative Assistant functions in an auxiliary role at the direction of the ASI Officers and is not authorized to represent or act on behalf of any ASI Student Government member.
Professional development/mentoring to the Chief of Staff will be provided by the ASI Executive Director or Designee. As a mentor, the ASI Executive Director or Designee will provide constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis to assist the Chief of Staff in their personal and professional development.
Qualifications for Office
During their term of office, the Chief of Staff must maintain compliance with all CSU and ASI requirements as outlined in the ASI Student Government Qualifications for Office Summary.
The ASI Chief of Staff receives a quarterly scholarship equal to 50% of the cost of education, priority registration and ASI vehicle privileges, if eligible.