Approved by the ASI Board of Directors on March 7, 2018
ASI Student Government members have important duties and responsibilities to the Cal Poly student body. These responsibilities are derived from the ASI Bylaws; often, the responsibilities change as the organization grows and changes.
It is a conflict of interest for ASI to employ members of ASI Student Government and require those individuals to have the responsibility of governing and making decisions regarding the organization by which they are employed. Because of this conflict, it is necessary to separate the roles by not allowing a student to simultaneously hold a position in ASI Student Government and be employed by ASI.
University Learning Objectives
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our student leaders are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Chair of the University Union Advisory Board
The University Union Advisory Board (UUAB) mission is to advise through review and comment to the University President and ASI Executive Director regarding operations of Student Body Center fee-funded facilities (University Union, Recreation Center, and Sports Complex), programs, and services.
The Chair of the UUAB shall be elected by a majority vote of the UUAB student members each spring quarter. The Chair is responsible for the efficient operations of the UUAB.
- Provide general oversight of UUAB members’ day-to-day activities.
- Ensure the continuous development of the UUAB members.
- Provide general oversight of the Vice Chair of the UUAB.
- Serve as a member of the ASI Officer Team.
- Provide feedback to the ASI Executive Director regarding corporate issues as appropriate.
- Serve as a voting member on the ASI Business and Finance Committee.
- Serve as a non-voting representative to the Board of Directors.
- Provide input regarding the corporate operations and student advocacy of ASI.
- Participate in the performance evaluation of the ASI Executive Director in collaboration with the ASI President and the Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Provide general oversight of the ASI Student Government annual budget, including signature authority.
- Serve as ASI Secretary and Treasurer.
- The Chair of the University Union Advisory Board is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the ASI Policy as a condition of their volunteer assignment.
Responsibilities to the University Union Advisory Board
- Serve as the official representative and spokesperson for the UUAB.
- Responsible for calling, planning, and facilitating UUAB meetings.
- Responsible for communicating related UUAB recommendations among Committee members, the University President, the ASI Executive Director, Board of Directors, Vice President of Administration and Finance, and the campus community regarding alterations, expansion, major repairs and capital outlay of student body fee funded facilities.
- Represent the UUAB on the Cal Poly Athletics Advisory Board, Board of Directors, and Sports Complex Use Committee.
- Review and forward required UUAB recommendations to the Board of Directors.
- Appoint UUAB members as lead contacts for UU facility planning & policies and ASI/UU committees as necessary.
- Appoint a Vice-chair of the UUAB with approval of the UUAB.
- Educate the UUAB on the history and past projects of the UUAB
Summary of Typical Involvement
- Serve on ASI internal committees as appropriate
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment, planning, and goal setting.
- Participate in Quarterly Kickoff events.
- Attend Leadership Development workshops.
- Attend Board of Directors meetings.
- Meet weekly with the ASI Officers.
- Meet bi-weekly with the ASI Executive Director.
- Meet bi-weekly with the University Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Meet quarterly with individual UUAB members.
- Attend ASI Leadership Team meetings.
- Attend University-wide and Academic Senate committee meetings as appointed.
Administrative support is provided to the Chair of the UUAB by the Administrative Assistant. As a support professional, the Administrative Assistant serves the business needs of the officers and maintains an efficient and effective business environment. The Administrative Assistant functions in an auxiliary role at the direction of the ASI Officers and is not authorized to represent or act on behalf of any ASI Student Government member.
Professional development/mentoring to the Chair of the UUAB will be provided by ASI Executive Director or designee. As a mentor, the ASI Executive Director or designee will provide constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis to assist the Chair of the UUAB in their personal and professional development.
Qualifications for Office
During their term of office, the Chair of the UUAB must maintain compliance with all CSU and ASI requirements as outlined in the ASI Student Government Qualifications for Office Summary.
The Chair of the University Union Advisory Board receives a quarterly scholarship equal to 75% of the cost of education, priority registration and ASI vehicle privileges, if eligible.