SCUBA Certification: Session 1
$400 Students / $400 Non-Students
Register for the SCUBA Certification class from ASI Aquatics and learn from professionals! Get certified by SLO Ocean Currents instructors in the basic problem-solving and dive systems that will empower you to have safe and enjoyable dives.
Expectations and Goals
Those who register are expected to participate in the program, prioritize training and meeting dates, and maintain their commitment throughout the class. This course aims to get participants comfortable being part of a buddy team and with SCUBA diving. Participants that register for this course and complete its curriculum will receive a PADI Open Water Dive Certification. This course includes an online module, four in-person meetings, a full day of in-water instruction at the Cal Poly Recreation Center—and two local, open water dives with SLO Ocean Currents instructors.
The following are to be expected during this course:
- Instruction from SLO Ocean Currents instructors
- In-water SCUBA training
- In the Cal Poly Recreation Center Lap Pool
- Two local open water dives at a local San Luis Obispo County beach
Course schedule is as follows:
- Prior to Oct. 18, 2023: 4-6 hour online course module. (Must be completed prior to the first in-person meet-n-greet)
- Wednesday, Oct. 18, 2023, from 6 p.m.–8 p.m. at the Cal Poly Recreation Center Lap Pool (meet-n-greet, quiz, in-water testing)
- Saturday, Oct. 22, 2023, from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. at the Cal Poly Recreation Center Lap Pool (in-water SCUBA instruction)
- Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023, Open Water Dive (time and location are TBA)
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 2023, Open Water Dive (time and location are TBA)
Course Registration Information
The course registration fee of $400 will encompass some — but not all — course materials* and instruction. Refunds are only offered when participation is not allowed due to medical reasons; documentation from a medical professional is required.
If this class is full, please contact the Aquatics Coordinator at 805-756-5842 to be put on the waitlist. Waitlisted participants will be contacted only if a spot becomes available.
At the first meeting, participants must demonstrate the ability to swim 200 yards and tread water for 10 minutes; additionally, participants will be required to complete the DAN Diver Medical Questionnaire. Forms will be provided after registration.
*Participants are responsible for providing the following equipment:
- Mask and snorkel
- Dive fins with heal straps
- Soft weight belts
- Booties and gloves
- A dive bag is recommended
All of these items are available for rental or purchase directly from SLO Ocean Currents.