Tri-Tip 3-Peak Challenge
Jan 21, 2023
$45 students / $60 non-students
Join the Poly Escapes community for a summit of three of San Luis Obispo’s most notable peaks and end the day with a tri-tip sandwich! Known as the Tri-tip Challenge, take on this 7-mile SLO rite of passage and enjoy a day of good hiking and better barbeque! Are you ready for the challenge?
Skill Level: Intense
Activity Level: Advanced
- A day of hiking SLO’s most notable landmarks
- Completion of local tradition (“Tri-tip Challenge”)
- Trip-tip will be provided
- Quality time with friends and peers
- Learn about San Luis Obispo’s geography
A pre-trip meeting will be held in the weeks prior to the trip. Participants will receive confirmation of a pre-trip date and time after registering.
At 12 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, participants will meet on campus in the K Lot (K1) at the base of the Cal Poly P.
- Cal Poly P: For the first hike — we will slowly hike the Cal Poly P via the switchback trail. We will rest before descending.
- Madonna Hill: For the second hike — participants will drive and meet at Throop Park at 2 p.m. Upon gathering, the group will hike up Madonna Hill via the “Rock Garden” trail. The group will have time to rest before descending.
- Bishop Peak: For the third hike — the group will drive and meet at the Highland Bishop Peak trailhead at 4 p.m. We will hike Bishop Peak and rest atop the summit before descending.
- Tri-tip: Finally, after completing all three hikes, we will meet at Firestone Grill to eat well-earned tri-tip sandwiches at 6 p.m.
Transportation will not be provided*
- First Aid kits
- Tri-tip sandwiches
Transportation between hikes will not be provided; participants must arrange their own rides.
What to Bring
- Sun-protective clothing, hats, and sunglasses.
- Hiking or running shoes with traction on dirt
- Synthetic or cotton underlayers
- Two liters of water
The Poly Escapes Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has the gear you need for your next adventure! Explore our selection online, then visit the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More