Rock Climbing – Sawtoooth Canyon
Mar 06 - Mar 09, 2020
Join Poly Escapes for a wonderful vertical adventure in the weird and wild Sawtooth canyon. We will be spending all weekend just outside of Barstow, CA climbing on some sweet desert features. Sawtooth canyon is a climbers oasis in an otherwise desert landscape. No matter whether you are a new or an experienced climber this trip will be fun, challenging, and full of adventure.
Skill Level: Moderate
Activity Level: Beginner
- Sawtooth Canyon offers many opportunities for all kinds of adventure seekers. Beyond its most popular use of rock climbing, other activities include wildlife viewing, hunting, camping, and more.
- The historic name for Sawtooth Canyon is “Traer Agua” which translates to “bring water” but has been renamed to Sawtooth due to the ridgeline looking like a saw.
- Metamorphic rock is hard to find in large quantities in California, compared to igneous or sedimentary rock. Sawtooth Canyon, on the other hand, is abundant with metamorphic rock and makes for a fun and unique climbing experience!
- All trip participants must attend a pre-trip meeting.
- Trip Leaders will communicate about specific required equipment and personal items needed. Warm non-cotton outdoor clothing that can be layered will be required. Some general equipment can be rented from ASI Poly Escapes at a 50% discount with your reservation. Visit the ASI Poly Escapes website to view the rental catalog.
- Transportation and drivers are provided by ASI Poly Escapes. Trip departure times are final. Please arrive on time at the specified departure time and location. If you cannot depart at the scheduled time, you cannot attend the trip, no exceptions.
- Meals are included in the cost of the trip except meals at restaurants while traveling to and from the trip destination.
Cancellation of the trip and/or changes in the specific details, timing, itinerary, and location of the trip may happen due to factors including but not limited to weather, environmental events, access and regulatory changes, health factors, and registration minimums.
- Withdrawing from the trip results in a refund only when another participant fills the spot.
- Registration is required; there is a fee associated with this program.
- pots and pans
- first aid kits
- 2 breakfasts
- 2 lunches
- 1 dinner
- car snacks
- water filters
- trekking poles
- climbing gear
What to Bring
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- hiking boots
- trail snacks
- 2 water bottles
- comfortable synthetic, thermal, & waterproof layers
- medical insurance card
- bowl and utensils for meals
- money for dinner on Friday
The Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has all of the gear you need for your next adventure! ASI Poly Escapes trip participants receive a 50% discount with your reservation. Explore our selection online, then come down to the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More