Monterey Camping & Hiking
May 12 - May 14, 2023
$200 students / $240 non-students
What better way to head into the weekend than discovering all that Monterey has to offer! Setup at a local campground before being whisked away to many of the must-see sites along the Central Coast. Enjoy exploring incredible beaches, hiking among giant redwood forests, gazing at constellations, and finding hidden tidepools.
Skill Level: Mild
Activity Level: Beginner
- Coastal hiking
- Local area exploration
- Marine life exploration
Potential teachable moments:
- Beginner and Camping Tips
- Outdoor Cooking
- Cultural and Natural History
- A pre-trip meeting will be held in the weeks prior to the trip. Participants will receive confirmation of a pre-trip date and time after registering.
- General comfort and ease in water preferred
- Participants should have the ability to tread water above head height for approximately one minute.
- Comfortable in the water, swimming up to 100 yards.
- Group gear: pots, pans, stoves, water filters, tents, maps, GPS, first aid kits, camp tools.
- Meals: Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast, lunch.
What to Bring
- Backpack for day hiking; 25L minimum
- Sleeping bag (preferably 0 degree)
- Sleeping pad
- At least 2L of water carrying capacity.
- Quart-sized bag of personal snacks.
- Warm upper and lower layers.
- Active clothes for hiking.
- Rain jacket
- Camp clothes
- Sturdy weatherproof hiking shoes
- Warm thick wool socks
The Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has all of the gear you need for your next adventure! ASI Poly Escapes trip participants receive a 50% discount with your reservation. Explore our selection online, then come down to the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More