Chasing Waterfalls: Santa Barbara Camping & Hiking Adventure
Nov 03 - Nov 05, 2023
$220 students / $240 non-students
Embark on a weekend of chasing the hidden gems of the Santa Barbara hills! Enjoy hiking and exploring the great outdoors followed by camping under the starlit sky with fellow adventurers. Lots of laughs, great food, and numerous emerald pools await!
Skill Level: Mild
Activity Level: Beginner
- General camping and hiking instruction
Potential teachable moments:
- Leave No Trace education (recreating responsibility focus)
- Natural and cultural history
A pre-trip meeting will be held in the weeks prior to the trip. Participants will receive confirmation of a pre-trip date and time after registering. After meeting at the designated time and place, the group will pack up, do basic instructions, and hit the road. The group will be stopping for dinner on the road Friday night. Dinner will not be provided by ASI Poly Escapes on Friday night.The group will be camping at Lake Cachuma. Activities after arriving include: hiking, making group meals as a unit, getting to know one another, learning about the local flora and fauna, exploring the hills of Santa Barbara, etc. The group will return on Sunday.
- Group gear: pots, pans, stoves, water filters, tents, maps, GPS, first aid kits, camp tools.
- Meals: Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and Sunday breakfast, lunch.
What to Bring
- Backpack for day hiking; 25L minimum
- Sleeping bag (preferably 0 degree)
- Sleeping pad
- At least 2L of water carrying capacity.
- Quart-sized bag of personal snacks.
- Warm upper and lower layers.
- Active clothes for hiking.
- Rain jacket
- Camp clothes
- Sturdy weatherproof hiking shoes
The Poly Escapes Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has the gear you need for your next adventure! Explore our selection online, then visit the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More