Camping and Caving – Millerton Caves
Mar 06 - Mar 07, 2020
Join us on an adventure exploring the Millerton Cave System in the San Joaquin River Gorge! This hidden cave system tucked into the breathtaking and remote San Joaquin River Gorge is a small granite slot canyon underground with a small trickling creek flowing through its bottom. The cave is a twisting and turning series of wide-open pools of crystal clear flowing water. On this one-night camping and caving exploration, we will become immersed in one of California’s largely undiscovered natural wonders and mysteries. If you’re up for an adventure that few have ever seen before, join us this weekend and experience the incredible Millerton Cave System!
Skill Level: Moderate
Activity Level: Beginner
- Millerton Caves are located in the San Joaquin River Gorge near Fresno, California. There, we will hike down to the
- Millerton Caves, put on our wetsuits, and explore the unique land formations.
- This cave system is a famous example of a corrasional cave—one that was scraped out by an abrasive material rather than dissolved.
- The acoustics in a cave system like Millerton Caves includes vast echoes, sound amplification, and rainwater runoff.
- All trip participants must attend a pre-trip meeting.
- Trip Leaders will communicate about specific required equipment and personal items needed. Warm non-cotton outdoor clothing that can be layered will be required. Some general equipment can be rented from ASI Poly Escapes at a 50% discount with your reservation. Visit the ASI Poly Escapes website to view the rental catalog.
- Transportation and drivers are provided by ASI Poly Escapes. Trip departure times are final. Please arrive on time at the specified departure time and location. If you cannot depart at the scheduled time, you cannot attend the trip, no exceptions.
- Meals are included in the cost of the trip except for meals at restaurants while traveling to and from the trip destination.
- Cancellation of the trip and/or changes in the specific details, timing, itinerary, and location of the trip may happen due to factors including but not limited to weather, environmental events, access and regulatory changes, health factors, and registration minimums.
- Withdrawing from the trip results in a refund only when another participant fills the spot.
- Registration is required; there is a fee associated with this program.
- pots and pans
- first aid kits
- 1 breakfast
- 1 lunch
- 1 dinner
- car snacks
- water filters
- trekking poles
What to Bring
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping pad
- hiking boots
- trail snacks
- 2 water bottles
- comfortable synthetic, thermal, & waterproof layers
- medical insurance card
- bowl and utensils for meals
- money for dinner on Friday
The Poly Escapes Rental Center at the Cal Poly Recreation Center has the gear you need for your next adventure! Explore our selection online, then visit the Rental Center to equip your trip.Learn More