Event Planning Resources

Planning an event often requires collaboration and partnership with a variety of on- and off-campus entities. The following is a helpful guide to the policies that must be adhered to and the many resources that are available to help your event be successful.

Please review the below guidelines and submit E-plan at the bottom of this page.

Risk and Liability


  • Student organizations are not permitted to sell or serve alcohol on campus.
  • Student organizations may not receive donated alcohol of any kind.
  • Alcohol at an off-campus event must be provided by the venue and sold to guests individually.
  • No alcohol can be paid for or reimbursed with organization funds.
  • For more information contact: Mike Morgan


Club Contracts

  • Student organizations must submit contracts for on-campus events to ASI Club Services a minimum of 14 days prior to the event.
  • All contracts for student organization events held on campus require review from the university.
  • All contracts must be signed by the designated club officer.
  • For more information contact: Chip Neuenschwander


Contracts with the Downtown Association — Farmers’ Market

  • The Downtown Association requires that all Farmers’ Market applications be submitted at least 3 weeks in advance.
  • The submittal process can be found here.
  • For more information contact: Farmers’ Market Manager


Minors Participating

  • Minors are defined as individuals under the age of 18 who are not currently enrolled Cal Poly students. (e.g., middle or high school students).
  • Examples of this include:
    • Performers or service providers that are minors.
    • Active participants in an event that are minors.
    • If the event is open to the public and geared (in whole or in part) toward minors.
  • If minors will be present or participating in an event, the university will work with the student organization regarding applicable forms, policies, and procedures.
  • For more information contact: Mike Morgan



  • Animals visiting campus must be supervised by a certified animal agency. Insurance information will be required from the supervising animal agency.
  • If animals are being brought onto campus, an Animal Health Certificate must be provided to the Office of Risk Management and the Assistant Director of Student Clubs and Organizations prior to the event.
  • For more information contact: Mike Morgan


Exchange of Funds

  • Student organization funds may never be placed in a student’s or advisor’s personal bank account.
  • Cash, check, PayPal, and Eventbrite are approved payment methods.
  • Venmo or other electronic financial transfer applications are not permissible methods of collecting student organization funds.
  • For more information contact: ASI Club Services

Temporary Signage

Per Campus Administrative Policy (144.7) temporary signage may not be placed on the outside of buildings (walls, doors, windows, roofs, or steps) or on interior doors, windows, walls, floors or ceilings.

Temporary signage may not be placed on trees, poles, traffic signs, trashcans, fences, or hillsides. Signage may also not obstruct the entrances or exits of buildings or the line of vision to vehicular or pedestrian traffic. Posting of signage on vehicles without the owner’s permission is also not permitted.



  • Cal Poly does not encourage chalking due to negative environmental and resource impacts. If your organization chooses to chalk:
    • Chalking display can be on campus for a maximum of five days. The event time should include application and clean-up of chalk.
    • Only water-soluble chalk may be used (no spray chalk permitted).
    • Chalking must not interfere with pedestrian traffic.
    • Chalking is permitted only on flat, horizontal, exterior surfaces, e.g., sidewalks and plazas (no building surfaces or walls).
  • Chalking in the UU Plaza
    • All chalking in the UU Plaza is subject to a cleanup fee. Clubs may not clean up independently. Any chalking outside of policy (i.e.: spray chalking, chalking on vertical surfaces) is subject to additional charges.
  • Chalking outside of the UU Plaza
    • Groups must clean/remove the chalking following university guidelines. Groups will be charged a cleanup fee if they fail to properly clean/remove chalking.
  • For more information contact: Don Popham



The university works to maintain an uncluttered and attractive campus. As such, while temporary signage is allowed, event hosts must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Sandwich Board, Tri-Fold Boards, and Signage
    • Sandwich boards and tri-fold boards require a reservation in 25Live. No reservations are required for staked signs.
    • Sandwich boards shall be no larger than 4 feet by 4 feet.
    • Signs may not restrict access to sidewalks, roads, or building entrances.
    • Signs must be maintained by sponsoring group.
    • All groups displaying boards must attach a copy of their event confirmation to the board.
    • Locations for tri-fold and sandwich boards are limited to: UU Plaza, Dexter Lawn, Via Carta Mall, and Ag Circle.
  • Sandwich Boards for Specific Events
    • Signs cannot be in place more than seven days prior to the event.
    • Signs must be removed immediately following an event.
  • Sandwich Boards for Recurring Organization Events
    • Signs must be removed over all academic breaks.
    • Signs cannot be on display for more than seven consecutive days.


Club Travel

  • Effective September 30, 2021, AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to the following states:
    • Alabama
    • Arkansas
    • Florida
    • Iowa
    • Idaho
    • Kansas
    • Kentucky
    • Mississippi
    • Montana
    • North Carolina
    • North Dakota
    • Ohio
    • Oklahoma
    • South Carolina
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • West Virginia
  • For more information contact: Sarah Hawkins
  • For additional information regarding Cal Poly Club Sport travel contact: Sarah Hawkins

Health and Safety

Environmental Health and Safety

  • Environmental Health and Safety assists the campus in providing a safe and healthful environment through the development and implementation of programs which minimize the risk of injury or illness. This includes risk management, general safety procedures, monitoring of air and water quality, and handling and disposal of hazardous waste.
  • Environmental Health and Safety approval is required for any event that could affect the air, water, or environment (such as chalking, tie-dying, painting the Poly P, etc.).
  • For more information contact: Kim Porter


Food Safety Inspection

  • Cal Poly’s Environmental Health Safety and Risk Management Department encourages members of the campus community to celebrate together, while prudently managing the risks of foodborne illness. It is understood that one cannot eliminate the risk of foodborne illness altogether. The Environmental Health and Safety Department offers food safety guidelines as a means to improve event participants’ experience.
  • A Temporary Food Permit Application must be submitted if a student organization is preparing or serving food not purchased/prepared by University Catering, a Campus Dining outlet, or an approved off-campus caterer. An application must be submitted to Environmental Health and Safety at least 14 days prior to the event.
    • Once the application is submitted, a student organization representative will be assigned the Food Safety Training course via PolyLearn. Training must be completed at least seven days prior to the event.
  • For more information contact: Environmental Health & Safety


Zero Waste

  • Cal Poly is committed to becoming a zero-waste campus, meaning all of the trash produced on campus is either recycled or composted rather than sent to a landfill. To ensure that events are managed with zero waste as a priority, facilities event staff provide recycling and composting containers to all events on campus free of charge, and use of landfill containers can be arranged prior to an event (a per bin charge applies).
  • For more information contact: Facilities Management Development


Cal Poly Sports Complex Use Committee (SCUC)


Use of CP Names/Marks/Symbols


Showing a Film or Video

  • A public performance constitutes any public exhibition of a copyrighted film or video. All such events require a Public Performance License.
  • Student organizations can secure a Public Performance License through the following vendors:


Amplified Sound (UU Plaza, other)

General Campus Amplified Sound

  • Outdoor events and activities that involve amplified music or speech are limited to the hours of 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • Amplified sound may not disrupt the learning environment and may be limited by location.
  • Refer to Campus Administrative Policy (CAP) for more details about the campuswide amplified sound policy.
  • Please note that if you do not abide by the amplified sound policy, your organization’s event could be shut down.

UU Plaza Amplified Sound

  • Amplified sound is permitted at the following times only in the UU Plaza:
    • Tuesdays and Thursdays: 11 a.m.–12 p.m.
    • Weekdays: 5 p.m.–10 p.m. only
    • Weekends: 7 a.m.–10 p.m. only


Wi-Fi Resources

  • Event hosts should determine if attendees will need access to Cal Poly Wi-Fi services. In certain areas of campus such as outdoor locations, bandwidth is limited and may not be available.
  • If Information Technology Services (ITS) support is needed, contact the Service Desk three to six weeks prior to the event.
  • Wireless Information: calpoly.edu/
  • Wireless Coverage: calpoly.edu/content/coverageMaps
  • Guest Access: calpoly.edu/guestwifi
  • For more information contact: ITS Service Desk

ASI Staffing

ASI Field Supervisors

  • Field supervisors are required any time a student organization, department, or off-campus group reserves the Sports Complex. A per supervisor/per hour charge will be assessed.
  • The required number of field supervisors will be determined by ASI based on event type and number of participants.
  • For more information contact: Takuto Doshiro


ASI Lifeguards

  • Lifeguards are required any time a group reserves the Recreation Center pool. A per lifeguard/per hour charge will be assessed.
  • The required number of lifeguards will be determined by ASI based on event type and number of participants.
  • For more information contact: Elisa Novak


ASI Officials

  • ASI officials are optional and are subject to staff availability. A per official/per hour charge will be assessed.
  • The required number of officials varies by event type and will be determined by ASI.
  • For more information contact: Jevon Smith

Renting Equipment and Furniture

ASI Equipment (The Pro Shop)

  • Sporting equipment is available to rent through The Pro Shop located in the Recreation Center.
  • For more information contact: The Pro Shop


Audio-Visual Equipment

  • Please contact Media Distribution Services for audio-visual support in campus spaces (excluding the Performing Arts Center, Spanos Theatre, University Union, and Recreation Center).
  • If your event is scheduled in the Performing Arts Center, Spanos Theatre, University Union, or Recreation Center, you will be contacted prior to your event by a staff representative to discuss audio-visual needs.
  • For more information contact: Media Distribution Services


Renting Furniture

  • Cal Poly Facilities Operations offers supply rentals for trash, recycle and green receptacles.
  • If your event is scheduled in the Performing Arts Center, Spanos Theatre, University Union, or Recreation Center, you will be contacted prior to your event by a staff representative to discuss set-up needs.
  • For more information contact: Don Popham


Catering: University Catering

  • University Catering is the official caterer of Cal Poly. For more information about University Catering including the different services they provide and their menus, please visit Cal Poly Dining.
  • For more information contact: Russell Monteath


Catering: Off-Campus Vendors

  • University-approved caterers must be used if not working with University Catering. A list of approved caterers can be found here.
  • For more information contact: Mike Morgan