Central Coast Discovery Trip
Friday, August 26, 2022
4 pm - 7 pm
$200 for Students
What better way to head into the school year than discovering all the Central Coast has to offer? While stationed out of a local campground, participants will be whisked away to many of the must-see sites along the Central Coast. If you enjoy activities like studying molting Northern Elephant Seals, gazing at constellations on a summer night, and finding hidden watering holes, this trip is for you! Bring a friend or sign-up solo. There will be plenty of hikes led by our Trip Leaders, great food, and camaraderie along the way!
Friday, Aug. 26, 4 p.m.–Sunday, Aug. 28, 7 p.m.
- Starry night skies
- Local exploration and insight
- Leave no Trace education
- Group meals
- Basic yet scenic hiking
- Central Coast sightseeing!
- Opportunity to learn general camping skills
- A pre-trip meeting will be scheduled in the weeks prior to the trip. Participants will receive confirmation of the pre-trip date and time after registering.
- After meeting at the designated time and place, the group will pack up, do basic introductions, and hit the road.
- The group will be stopping for dinner on the road Friday night. (Dinner will not be provided by ASI Poly Escapes on Friday night.)
- The group will be camping coastally.
- Activities after arriving include
- Making group meals as a unit
- Getting to know one another
- Learning about the local flora and fauna
- Exploring the park.
- The group will return on Sunday.
- All transportation and group gear: pots, pans, stoves, tents, water, maps, first aid kits, maps, camp tools, etc.
- Meals provided: Saturday breakfast, Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner, Sunday breakfast, Sunday lunch
What to Bring
- Good, sturdy hiking shoes with ankle support, sun protection, weather-appropriate clothing, a copy of medical insurance card (if applicable,) the capacity to store 2 liters of water, toiletries, a quart-size bag of personal snacks, medications, money for dinner on Friday evening, a bowl or plate and utensils for meals, etc.
- The following items will be needed and can be rented for half off at the Rental Center if you have registered for a Poly Escapes Trip: headlamp and batteries, sleeping bag and sleeping bag liner, sleeping pad, trekking pole, etc.
- *A more comprehensive list will be distributed at the trip’s pre-trip meeting by the Trip Leaders.
- Hiking will be minimal to moderate, but it is important to note there may be uneven terrain.
- Participants should be prepared to carry a pack containing their water, food, and any group gear distributed.
- Participants will be sleeping on the ground, with padding, in sleeping bags, in tents.
- No prior experience is needed.
Notes pertaining to all trips:
- Each participant must attend a one-hour mandatory pre-trip meeting to go over details of the trip. Once registered, the Trip Leaders will reach out to the group to schedule this meeting. If a participant is unable to make it, it is their responsibility to work with the Trip Leader to schedule a time to meet.
- Rental gear is discounted by 50% for trip participants, and it is recommended that for a trip departing on a Friday, participants secure their gear early in the week.
- Transportation is provided to and from all trips.
- All sales are final unless the trip is canceled by ASI Poly Escapes. Exceptions may be made in regard to Covid-19. In some instances, due to issues beyond our control (weather, road closure, etc.-) trips may be canceled or relocated. In this case, participants will receive refunds, or have the choice to do so.
- Registration may be completed online or in person at the Poly Escapes Rental Center.