Board approved on April 4, 2018
ASI Student Government members have important duties and responsibilities to the Cal Poly student body. These responsibilities are derived from the ASI Bylaws; often, the responsibilities change as the organization grows and changes.
It is a conflict of interest for ASI to employ members of ASI Student Government and require those individuals to have the responsibility of governing and making decisions regarding the organization by which they are employed. Because of this conflict, it is necessary to separate the roles by not allowing a student to simultaneously hold a position in ASI Student Government and be employed by ASI.
University Learning Objectives
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our student leaders are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Vice Chair of the Board
The Vice Chair of the Board shall serve the Board of Directors as a voting member and, in the absence of the ASI Chair of the Board, is responsible for conducting meetings. The Vice Chair of the Board assists the ASI Chair of the Board with policy development, review and modification by having general oversight of all standing committees.
- Assist the ASI Chair of the Board in staying apprised of all Ad Hoc Subcommittee and ASI
Standing Committee actions.
- Serve as Chair of the ASI Business and Finance Committee.
- Acknowledges donations and gifts given to ASI Student Government.
- The Vice Chair of the Board is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the ASI Policy as a condition of their volunteer assignment.
Responsibilities to the ASI Board of Directors
- Ensure compliance with the meeting notice requirements of the Gloria Romero Act.
- Oversee ASI Board of Directors meeting preparations, in collaboration with the Administrative Assistant.
- Perform responsibilities of the ASI Chair of the Board in his/her absence, at the direction of the Chair of the Board.
- Serve as the Parliamentarian for the ASI Board of Directors.
- Provide oversight of all corporate books and records in collaboration with the Administrative Assistant.
- Represent ASI on appropriate University-wide and Academic Senate committees as appointed by the ASI President.
Summary of Typical Involvement
- Serve on ASI internal committees as appropriate.
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment, planning, and goal setting.
- Participate in Quarterly Kickoff events.
- Attend Leadership Development workshops.
- Meet weekly with the ASI Chair of the Board.
- Attend ASI Leadership Team meetings.
- Attend University-wide and Academic Senate committee meetings as appropriate.
- Other responsibilities as directed by the ASI Chair of the Board.
Administrative support is provided to the Vice Chair of the Board by the Administrative Assistant. As a support professional, the Administrative Assistant serves the business needs of the officers and maintains an efficient and effective business environment. The Administrative Assistant functions in an auxiliary role at the direction of the ASI Officers and is not authorized to represent or act on behalf of any ASI Student Government member.
Professional development/mentoring to the Vice Chair of the Board will be provided by the ASI Executive Director or designee. As a mentor, the ASI Executive Director or designee will provide constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis to assist the Vice Chair of the Board in their personal and professional development.
Qualifications for Office
During their term of office, the Vice Chair of the Board must maintain compliance with all CSU and ASI requirements as outlined in the ASI Student Government Qualifications for Office Summary.
The Vice Chair of the Board receives a quarterly scholarship equal to 25% of the cost of education, priority registration and ASI vehicle privileges, if eligible.