Approved by the ASI Board of Directors on January 10, 2018
ASI Student Government members have important duties and responsibilities to the Cal Poly student body. These
responsibilities are derived from the ASI Bylaws; often, the responsibilities change as the organization grows and
It is a conflict of interest for ASI to employ members of ASI Student Government and require those individuals to have the responsibility of governing and making decisions regarding the organization by which they are employed. Because of this conflict, it is necessary to separate the roles by not allowing a student to simultaneously hold a position in ASI Student Government and be employed by ASI.
University Learning Objectives
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our student leaders are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
The ASI President is the only elected-at-large leader at Cal Poly. The goals of the ASI President are achieved and implemented with the assistance of the appointed ASI Executive Cabinet.
The ASI President shall represent the general student body (student advocacy) and act as the official representative and host of the Associated Students, Incorporated to the administration of the university and the general public.
- Provide general oversight of the ASI Chief of Staff, and the ASI Executive Cabinet.
- Serve as a member of the ASI Officer Team.
- Ensure continuous development of the ASI Officer Team.
- Provide feedback to the ASI Executive Director regarding corporate issues as appropriate.
- Provide input regarding the corporate operations and student advocacy of ASI.
- Complete performance evaluation of the ASI Executive Director in collaboration with the ASI Chair of the Board, and the Chair of the University Union Advisory Board.
- In collaboration with the ASI Executive Director, be responsible for the execution of all legislation enacted by
the Board of Directors and its standing committees unless otherwise stated or directed.
- Appoint ASI President’s representative to the Board of Directors’ standing committees and advisory boards in accordance with the ASI Bylaws.
- Coordinate meetings of the ASI Officer Team.
- Serve as a voting member of the ASI Business and Finance Committee.
- Serve as a non-voting representative to the Board of Directors.
- Appoint the ASI Chief of Staff with ratification by the Board of Directors.
- Facilitate a selection process for the ASI Executive Cabinet.
- Provide general oversight of the ASI Student Government annual budget, including signature authority.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
- The ASI President is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the ASI Policy as a condition of their volunteer assignment.
Responsibilities to the Students of Cal Poly
- Maintain student input in all aspects of university shared decision-making.
- Serve as the co-chair of the Campus Fee Advisory Committee.
- Serve as the co-chair of the Student Success Fee Allocation Advisory Committee.
- Serve as an official representative of ASI as appointed on Universitywide and Academic Senate committees
- Serve on the Cal Poly Athletics Advisory Board.
- Serve as an ASI representative on the Academic Senate.
- Appoint and/or remove ASI student representatives to all Universitywide and Academic Senate committees.
- Maintain a list of all committee appointments.
- Ensure shared governance across the institution.
- Serve as the official student representative of ASI to all external entities (e.g., California State Student Association, Chamber of Commerce, Chancellor’s Office, etc.).
- Serve as the Chair of the Student Community Liaison Committee (SCLC).
Summary of Typical Involvement
- Serve on ASI internal committees as appropriate.
- Participate in the overall ASI assessment, planning, and goal setting. Participate in Quarterly Kickoff events.
- Availability during the summer and academic year to attend Leadership Development Workshops.
- Meet bi-weekly with the University Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Meet monthly with the University President.
- Meet monthly with the Provost.
- Meet monthly with the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion.
- Meet weekly with the ASI Officers.
- Attend ASI Leadership Team meetings.
- Meet weekly with the ASI Chief of Staff.
- Attend Universitywide and Academic Senate committee meetings as required.
- Ensure continuous development of the ASI Leadership Team.
- Gather student feedback and promote transparency across Cal Poly.
- Give remarks on behalf of the students at Faculty, Alumni, Foundation, Orientation, Commencement, and student occasions.
Administrative support is provided to the ASI President by the Administrative Assistant. As a support professional, the Administrative Assistant serves the business needs of the officers and maintains an efficient and effective business environment. The Administrative Assistant functions in an auxiliary role at the direction of the ASI Officers and is not authorized to represent or act on behalf of any ASI Student Government member.
Professional development/mentoring to the ASI President will be provided by the ASI Executive Director. As a mentor, the Executive Director will provide constructive feedback and guidance on a regular basis to assist the ASI President in their personal and professional development.
Qualifications for Office
During their term of office, the ASI President must maintain compliance with all CSU and ASI requirements as outlined in the ASI Student Government Qualifications for Office Summary.
The ASI President receives a quarterly scholarship equal to 100% of the cost of education, priority registration and ASI vehicle privileges, if eligible.