The Julian A. McPhee University Union is getting a new fire sprinkler system to help bolster its safety features.
The first phase of the sprinkler system’s installation—an estimated five-month project—will begin on Dec. 20, 2021, and will continue throughout winter quarter 2022.
As a student hub on campus, the University Union serves hundreds of students every day; and with responsibility for the safety of those students—and all campus community members—facilities staff and more are pleased to help bring enhanced safety features to the UU. The renewal of the UU’s fire sprinkler system will ensure the safety of all students, staff, and campus community members that utilize the facility.
As the installation of the sprinkler system progresses, visitors at the UU will notice ongoing construction sounds and area impacts on the second floor of the facility. During this time the ASI business office will be accessible through Chandler Lounge (UU208). In addition, the elevators will be periodically closed throughout the project; alternate accessible entrance wayfinding signage will be available at all entrances and exits.
During winter quarter 2022, a construction wall will block access to the hallway that gives way to the ASI business office; this will affect several rooms on the second floor of the facility. The restrooms on the second floor of the University Union that are located within the affected hallway will have an alternate entrance via a construction tunnel.
- One of two entrances to UU217 (Student Diversity & Belonging, Safer, and Club Administration) will be closed
- One of the two entrances to the UU216 conference room will be closed.
- The main entrance of the UU212 (ASI business office) and UU212 I will be closed.
- The ASI business office will be accessible through Chandler Lounge (UU208).
- Chandler Lounge will not be available for space reservations.
- The second-floor restrooms will be available via a construction tunnel.
To learn more about this project and anticipated impacts, please visit Facilities Projects.